
Last week Danny and I attended our 8th La Leche League meeting. La Leche League is an international breastfeeding support group. It is so much fun to be around women (and their babies) who have similar parenting philosophies. I have learned so much from them and am so grateful for their support and education.
Nursing Danny has been a wonderful adventure. I never considered not breastfeeding. My mom breastfed both me and my brother. It provides so many physical and emotional benefits to both mother and baby. Overall, it has been an enjoyable experience. He latched on well right after birth, and we had very few problems. There was a short period where he didn't open his mouth quite wide enough, and it took a while to be able to nurse lying down (a life saver!), but he's been a good nurser. Actually, sometimes it I think he enjoys it too much. Danny appears to have a very high need to suck, as in almost all the time. Often he won't sleep well if he's not nursing. Occasionally, I get impatient and annoyed, but when I don't feel the need to get things done, it's a wonderful time to cuddle and pray for my little boy.
Nursing Danny now is something like having a guided missile targeted at my nipple. There are times he's latched on before I'm settled. He also "helps" now by trying to lift up my shirt. Sometimes he's too excited and tries to latch on to my hand, arm, or belly button. It's almost comical.
The hard part has been the allergy/thrush combo. When Danny was a few weeks old, I suspected he had some food allergies, so I cut a bunch of foods out of my diet (dairy, wheat, soy, etc.), but it didn't seem to help. Then we figured out we had thrush (a yeast infection in his mouth that also got into my breasts, causing deep breast pain). We're still treating that, unfortunately. Then we figured out we have both thrush and allergies. I still haven't figured out exactly what he's allergic to, but after eating two pieces of pizza at a Superbowl party (sigh... my poor Bears), his face broke out like a teenager's. So probably diary, and maybe wheat. But he also started breaking out again in the past few days, which means eggs, soy, or corn, which are the last few things I've added into my diet. We're close to having it figured out, and once we do, life will be much happier for both of us.
From early on, I've been very comfortable nursing in public-stores, restaurants, and tournaments included. You might be surprised how controversial nursing in public is. There was a recent example of a woman being asked by a Delta flight attended to leave the plane for nursing her baby without covering up. Those opposed say it's indecent or may make women who aren't breastfeeding feel guilty. Quite frankly, women who chose not to breastfeed should feel guilty! Now, I know there are some cases, such as adoption or physical inability which prevent breastfeeding, but that is a small minority (estimated at 1-5%). Formula feeding is linked to lower IQs, greater rates of allergies, diabetes, obesity, ear infections, and many other maladies. Everyone knows "breast is best", but breastfeeding rates in the US remain embarrassingly low. It's no wonder when women fear they will get nasty looks, ignorant remarks, or kicked out of the place where they're nursing. While it is possible to be discreet, it does not require covering the baby with a blanket or sitting in a bathroom stall.
Here is my advice: ladies- breastfeed your babies, and if you're comfortable, do it in public. For those of you who don't (or can't) have babies, don't be embarrassed when you see a woman nursing in public! It's OK to look and give a smile. Recognize that breastfeeding is good. It certainly has been for Danny and me!
No comments:
Post a Comment